Lews Castle

1847

Construction of Lews Castle commences
The foundation stone of Lews Castle is laid with due Masonic ceremony on 30th November.  Matheson commissions the Scottish architect, Charles Wilson to design Lews Castle and works take seven years to complete.  £49,000 is spent on transforming the land around the new Castle into extensive woodlands and private gardens.  No original drawings survive.

All images ©Isobel Martin unless otherwise stated