Lord Leverhulme Purchase of Lewis
William Hesketh Lever purchases the Isle of Lewis in 1918 for £143,000. Leverhulme modernises the Castle and makes many improvements including; installing electric lighting, central heating and numerous bathrooms and intercom telephones. He also extends the ballroom by combining it with an adjacent drawing room. Leverhulme undertook further planting and road building, including the present shore road to the mouth of the river Creed.