Lews Castle

1939-1945

World War II – Conversion of Castle into Naval Hospital
The Castle is requisitioned by the Admiralty and used as a naval hospital.

As described in Peter Cunningham’s book ‘The Castle Grounds’ – “this period of change allowed the woods to degenerate to a wild state and led to the destruction of the splendid glass house which had housed exotic plants, including a New Zealand tree fern which survived out in the open until the 1950’s”

All images ©Isobel Martin unless otherwise stated